Thursday, March 24, 2011

Gotham City Part 2

Hey all, I'm taking over from B Eagle tonight, so it's Project C (what? that's a perfectly legitimate nickname for myself). You may notice that I ramble a lot more than my other half, so if you don't like it too bad. I'm also jet lagged and often repeat myself. Did I mention that I always repeat myself? I bet you miss Brooke's short succinct paragraphs.

We neglected to mention that we were staying with our lovely friend Hillary for the last two days, she was kind enough to provide us with a room in her house in Brooklyn. However we are now in East Village bed and Coffee. Our room is like a treehouse within a warehouse. There's a dog named mango that sleeps on the floor below.

Today we went to the museum of comic and cartoon art which is currently exhibiting the work of Will Eisner, the guy responsible for the Spirit, and the Graphic Novel as we know it today. A lot of the drawings that were shown featured his drawings of New York, which was interesting because when you saw them you remember not too long ago New York was more like the Warriors, or Escape from New York (or that's how I imagined it would be).

It's sort of cleaner now, but here are a few weird things we've noticed about the people here besides the amazing buildings:

1. Nobody talks on the subway. (I think it's just in case homeless people approach them)
2. There's no such thing as public displays of affection, even among parents and their children. They sort of just roam free, and dangle themselves near the subway lines. Today at the subway station we saw this kid eating a banana silently, like the twins from the Shining. I hope he correctly disposed of the banana peel otherwise somebody could slip and fall onto the train tracks, with morbid and hilarious results.
3.  When you ask for the check all the waiters seem like they're ashamed to be paid because, they always fold the bill and place it upside down on the table. Does this happen anywhere else or are we just oblivious?

The rest of the day was spent shopping. We were supposed to goto Moma but it was the first nice day of sunshine we had despite snow lined streets and -1 degree Celsius weather.
After our failure at uniqlo we went back less jet lagged. New jeans, new shirts at low low prices!

Tonight we saw a live radio play version of HP Lovecrafts's The Music of Eric Zahn and the Dunwich Horror. While Brooke was enjoying this live rendition, she was also puppeteering me to make it look like I was awake during the whole show,  like in weekend at Bernies. I felt less bad after I heard one of the other audience members snore.


Quote of the night (from an arguing couple we passed)
Some Girl: Wait you have to let me make this point on philosophy...
Some Guy: Shut the f*ck up and make your point already!

1 comment:

  1. So long as it is not like the 'Gangs of New York' because that was a little scary. The whole not speaking in public thing is a little peculiar too. Do they all wear sunglasses and trench-coats? Is everything grey? Is it overcast and gloomy? If the answer to any of these questions is, yes, you are not in New York, it is the matrix.
    I knew that whole 'Sex in the City' thing was a load of hooey.

    ReplyDelete